Big fish, small fish, fish of all sizes in the ocean! The mighty ocean is home to different types of fish, the puffer fish is a unique fish that puffs up when it wants to keep away other big fish. So how about encouraging your child to create a puffer fish? Watch the video below to get a step-by-step on creating your ocean explorer puffer fish activity.
Parental Involvement: Low
Duration: 30 minutes
Skills Acquired: Coordination, Fine Motor, Concentration
- Paper plate
- A pair of scissors
- Cotton Bud
Instructions for Ocean Explorer Puffer Fish Activity
- Dip some cotton in paint and colour a paper plate using a cotton ball. Paint it in two colours.
- On another paper plate, cut out two fins.
- Using a cotton bud or cotton ball create polka dots on the paper plate and fins.
- Define the features of the puffer fish using the cotton bud or cotton ball.
- Using a pair of child-safe scissors, create slits along the edges of the paper plate. (You may draw lines for your child to cut along.)
- Apply glue on the fins and stick them on paper plate.
Ta-da, your puffer fish is ready!
Cutting using a pair of child-safe scissors help children develop various fine motor muscles! It’s a necessary skill for them to develop. Cutting along the lines helps them develop their hand-eye coordination. As they cut, they exercise their concentration. Once they’ve created a puffer fish, how about a story? Here’s a story prompt: How did the puffer fish get its colour?
Activity by Vishwajeet